Sunday, January 01, 2006

Buckets endorses ... (1)

As I mentioned here, I am embarking on a series of endorsements for individual candidates from all parties. I do this not under any misapprehension that anyone cares who I endorse. Rather, I think it is a useful exercise (1) to try to find worthy people in all parties.

I begin with a trio of Conservatives:
  • Jim Prentice (Calgary Center)
  • James Moore (Port Moody, BC)
  • Gerald Keddy (South Shore, NS)
These are three of the four Conservatives who voted in favour of same-sex marriage last spring, despite very strong lobbying efforts against them from within their own parties. (The other, Stronach, defected to the Liberals.)

Although support for same-sex marriage is not an absolute litmus test for me, I would find it very difficult to vote for any candidate that was eager to drag the nation back through the same-sex marriage debate. It was unpleasant and divisive enough to go through the first time. We don't need to do it again.

No comments: